Job Description and Summary
- Landscape or maintain grounds of property using hand or power tools or equipment. Perform a variety of tasks, which may include any combination of the following: sod laying, mowing, trimming, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, raking, etc.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
- Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing and removing thatch, and trimming and edging around flower beds, walks, and walls.
- Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, and trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
- Mow and edge lawns, using power mowers and edgers.
- Plant seeds, bulbs, foliage, flowering plants, grass, ground covers, trees, and shrubs, and apply mulch for protection, using gardening tools.
- Attach wires from planted trees to support stakes.
- Decorate gardens with stones and plants.
- Follow planned landscaping designs to determine where to lay sod, sow grass, or plant flowers and foliage.
- Gather and remove litter.
- Haul or spread topsoil, and spread straw over seeded soil to hold soil in place.
- Rake, mulch, and compost leaves.
- Trim and pick flowers, and clean flower beds.
- Water lawns, trees, and plants, using portable sprinkler systems, hoses, or watering cans.
- Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, and other grounds features.
Required Qualifications and Qualities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Maintain and repair tools, equipment, and structures such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, and benches, using hand and power tools.
- Operate powered equipment such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers, chain-saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws.
- Use hand tools such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge and brush trimmers, and axes.
Such qualities qualifications include:
- A positive attitude combined with the ability to communicate fluently and relate well to customers in the leisure environment and the ability to manage and motivate staff
- Commercial awareness and an eye for detail in all aspects of work
- Secondary school education
- Level of English that allows reasonable communication with customers, guests and employees
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this role, the employee:
- Is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions
- Is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.