- It’s Sport Fishing Season in Ketchikan, Alaska! This year we're expecting some of the BEST fishing ever! And, [ahem thanks to COVID-19], we still have some great dates: June 18-23 | June 30-July 5 | July 9-16August 8-14 | August 15-21 | August 24-30September 24-30CALL (907) 225-6700 to make a reservation! Photo (above) McKinley displays a king salmon she landed June 15,… Read More
- Happy & Healthy St. Patrick’s Day Would you believe we've been on the road since January? We are back in Alaska getting ready for our 2020 season. This year we attended sportsman shows in California, Oregon and Washington -- it was nice visiting everyone who stopped by our booth and say hello. We also managed to squeeze in winter fishing trips… Read More
- You booked a fishing trip at Chinook Shores Lodge, so now what? Here’s Five Things To Do Before Your Ketchikan Alaska Fishing Trip #1 Make Airline Reservations Fishermen travel to Ketchikan via the Alaska Marine Highway, Alaska Airlines or Delta Airlines every summer in search of salmon, halibut and other tasty seafood. We recommend choosing Alaska Airlines as they offer reliability, comfort, premium cabin legroom and movies. Select flights that arrive Ketchikan around 11am and when leaving the… Read More
- Nadra’s New Years Resolutions Welcome 2019 with a fresh ATTITUDE... and FRESH FISH! If you know me, you know I'm a TYPE-A person who runs a tight ship (both literally and figuratively). Well, last year I resolved to become more of a B type person to improve my zen. As I look back… it seems all THAT actually did… Read More
- Happy Holidays 2018 CHINOOK SHORES LODGE 2018 CREWSoren, McKinley, Paulina, Vaiva, Samadhi, Nadra and jeff Wishing you a festive holiday filled with loved ones and laughter. From our fishing family to yours... Chinook Shores Lodge Read More
- Valentine’s Day Edition: Why We Love King Salmon and Other Hot Topics In the spirit of National Heart Month, we've put together a collection of things we love in this Valentine's Day edition of the Chinook Shores Lodge newsletter. February is Heart Month Did you know, fish is a good source of protein and, unlike fatty meat products, it’s not high in saturated fat. Fish is also… Read More
- An Open Letter Regarding Proposed 2018 Unuk River King Salmon Stock Status and Action Plan Attn: Alaska Board of Fish (BOF) RE: SE & Yakutat Finfish & Shellfish Comments I own and operate Chinook Shores sport fishing lodge located in Clover Passage, West Behm Canal. We opened in 2005, lodge up to 30 guests, operate seven fishing boats, employ eight people and bring approximately 600 non-resident anglers to Ketchikan May-September.… Read More
- Happy Holidays 2017 Happy Holidays Wishing You Every Happiness This Holiday Season And Through Out The Coming Year Read More
- Trade Show Recap: The Fred Hall Shows (The Ultimate Outdoor Experience) We just finished part one of the 70th annual Fred Hall Show at the Long Beach Convention Center. Part two -- we will be exhibiting at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, March 17-20 . While the show has been around a while (70 years!), this was the first time we exhibited. The show as huge! We were were please… Read More
- New Years (2016) Thank you for fishing at Chinook Shores Lodge and making our 2015 fishing season memorable! A family that plays together, stays together. Around our home, it's like that... with a whole lot of fishing. While we enjoy fishing with each other, some of our best family memories have been getting to fish with you and… Read More
- Newsletter Signup Stay in touch, and signup for our newsletter! Read More
- December Newsletter (2014) One of our favorite things about the winter season is the opportunity to reflect on the fun times we had fishing with our guests this summer, and the opportunity to say thank you. As you celebrate the holidays, please know we're sending you warmest thoughts from Alaska and wishing you the joy of family, the gift… Read More
- ‘Tis the Season… 'Tis the Season to give your favorite angler a gift card for Chinook Shores Lodge. Gift cards are available in $100, $250, $500 and $1,000 increments. So, what do you give the angler who has everything? A holiday gift card is the perfect choice! Order a Chinook Shores Lodge Gift Card Today! Read More
- Happy Thanksgiving This Thanksgiving, we have a lot to be grateful for... OUR CLIENTS who believe in our company and the value we offer OUR PARTNERS who efficiently deliver Chinook Shores supplies and services OUR EMPLOYEES who demonstrate passion, dedication and talent daily Happy Thanksgiving and all the best to you and your family this holiday season!… Read More
- May Newsletter (2014) Welcome to "Currents," our newsletter written for fishing fanatics who want to go fishing in Alaska. Published annually, this email is intended to tell you who's catching what, where, when and how. We hope you'll enjoy reading about the latest news and happenings at Chinook Shores Lodge. We Got Hooked Jeff and Nadra were married April… Read More
- January Newsletter (2014) Hello and Happy New Year! I hope this new year brings success and happiness to everything you do. We're gearing up for the 2014 Alaska fishing season -- exhibiting at trade shows and getting ready to make several exciting announcement this year. We hope to see you on the fishing grounds or at any of… Read More
- Happy Holidays from Chinook Shores! Warmest Wishes To You And Yours This Holiday Season Chinook Shores Lodge Read More
- November Newsletter (2013) From Chinook Shores Lodge To show our thanks we thought we'd share these Alaska seafood recipes with you to enjoy with your family and friends this Thanksgiving holiday! Hot Artichoke and Parmesan Dip with Crab, Wild Alaska Salmon or Halibut Ingredients: This flavorful dip is great served with slices of sourdough baguette, crostini or crackers. 1 can… Read More
- April Newsletter (2013) Hello from Alaska, Welcome to "Currents," our first newsletter written for fishing fanatics interested in fishing in Alaska. Published annually, this email newsletter is not written to clutter your inbox, rather it's intended to tell you who's catching what, where, when and how. As well as inform you about our events, new regulations, pictures of… Read More
Alaska Fishing Lodge: Travel Newsletter
Maybe you booked a fishing trip to Alaska this summer, or maybe you’re still trying to decide. Hopefully these frequently asked questions will provide some last minute answers or serve as a reminder of what to bring!
It’s best to book the northbound Alaska Airlines flight #179 which departs Seattle at 10:20am and arrives Ketchikan at 11:19am. It you can’t make that connection, Alaska Airlines flight #173 departs Seattle at 2:05pm and Delta Airlines flight #4810 departs Seattle at 12:45pm.
We recommend southbound Alaska Airlines flight #60 which departs Ketchikan at 9:12am or Alaska Airlines flight #178 which departs Ketchikan at 12:30pm.
What to Pack
The weather in Ketchikan can range from 50-70 degrees in the summer. We recommend you plan to wear layers when you pack as you could be comfortable wearing a tank top, t-shirt or sweatshirt on any given day. Deck slippers, hiking boots or tennis shores are most comfortable on the boast. But, you do not need to pack rain boots, rain jackets or rain pants because we have an ample supply of rain gear in all sizes that you can check out and use the entire time you are here.
Where to Eat and Drink
Our boats are well equipped with everything you’ll need – Salmon and halibut fishing rods, Penn Senator 113H Halibut Fishing Reels, GPS chart plotters, fish finders, down riggers and more! We stock your boat with some basic tackle and supplies that we know work best in the salt water fishing areas. Anything else you might want to try you can purchase in our bait and tackle store. Feel free to bring fresh water gear if you want to try fresh water fishing at two of the nearby streams — both within 10-20 miles from the lodge an accessible by land and by sea.
Plan on taking home whatever you can catch. Our dock hands will unload your boat, fillet, vacuum pack and freeze your fish each day. When it’s time for you to go home, we’ll box everything up in 25 and 50 pound freezer boxes and you can check it as a bag at the airport upon your departing flight. Your fish will be nice and cold when you get home. If you have to overnight in Seattle, you can check your fish boxes into Ken’s Baggage and Frozen Food Storage between carousels #12 and #13 at Sea-Tac International Airport.